Please follow these instructions carefully to ensure proper healing and longevity of your tattoo.
BEFORE YOUR TATTOO
- DO NOT drink alcohol the night before your tattoo. It thins the blood, which may lead to poor healing.
- DO NOT take painkillers or illegal substances before your tattoo.
- DO NOT use any topical anesthetics or numbing creams unless otherwise directed by your tattoo artist, as improper usage of these products may cause poor healing.
- DO NOT get tattooed on an empty stomach.
- DO NOT get tattooed while pregnant, or breastfeeding. If you are, please notify us immediately to reschedule your appointment.
- DO get a good night’s sleep before your tattoo.
- DO ensure that your clothes and body are clean.
- DO wear comfortable clothing that will allow access to the area being tattooed.
- DO give us 24 hours for cancellations.
- DO call us if you have any additional questions.
AFTER YOUR TATTOO
- Remove bandage the following morning just before you shower and gently wash your tattoo with unscented mild soap (i.e. Ivory) and warm water. Do not peek or peel bandage before this.
- Do not use glycerin soap to wash your tattoo.
- Make sure to create a good lather with soap: removing excess blood, ink, plasma and foreign matter. Wash and rinse multiple times if necessary to get all the plasma off.
- Rinse the tattoo thoroughly under running warm water.
- Using a clean, dry towel, gently pat the tattoo dry after washing. Once completed, your tattoo should not be slimy or sticky.
- A thorough first wash is imperative! An improper first wash will create heavy scabbing and poor healing.
- Don’t re-bandage the tattoo. A tattoo needs to be able to breathe in order to heal.
- Try to keep your tattoo clean and dry for at least three days.
- After three days (or once your tattoo begins to feel dry, tight or itchy), begin applying a water-based, unscented lotion. (Aveeno, Vaseline Intensive Care or Lubriderm lotions work well). Use only a small amount and pat lightly onto the skin.
- Loose fitting clothing is essential to avoid any kind of abrasion on your healing tattoo.
- Never pick or scratch a tattoo, it itches because it is healing. That’s normal. Apply lotion when itchy.
- Never soak your tattoo while it’s healing. Keep showers quick, washing with mild soap each time. Allow your tattoo to dry out before applying lotion.
- Do not sauna, swim, hot tub, tan, steam, or sun bathe until your tattoo has flaked off and the skin is back to its original form.
- Tattoos should not scab heavily; they should dry out and flake off, like a sunburn. However, sometimes scabbing can occur for some people for various reasons. In these instances, healing will take longer, and the tattoo may require touch-ups, which is why we ask you to follow all before and after instructions explicitly.
- If you have ANY questions or concerns about your healing tattoo, please call us at the shop.
- NEVER take tattoo aftercare advice from anyone else!